Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tim D'Annunzio shines bright, stands tall while losing in NC-8 GOP runoff.

You will hate yourself in the morning. Oh, yeah? Not us – not those of us who supported and cheered on our hero Tim D’Annunzio!

No, we arise with a clear conscience. We fought the good fight. Gained appreciation for an admirable man who, despite being the target of lies and abuse from the new Country Club Republicans of North Carolina, stood tall and did not sink to their level.

Did we lose? Did Tim lose? I don’t think so. There were many positive things that came out of this.

For one thing, the foes of truth in politics and government introduced themselves to us. They showed us not only what they are, but who they are – name, rank and serial number! Now we can zero our mortars. Let’s fire when the time is right.

Also, we will now see, the Lord willing, that losing the battle does not equate to losing the war. All is not lost. Heck no. We have to know that. Loss and tribulation build character. Now, we don’t want to build too much character in this particular way, but we will see that we are stronger and wiser.

Tim? Well, getting to know this guy is a wonderful gift. Through friends like Jonathan Alligood, Scott Manning, and others, who clued me in to the fact that a conservative Christian candidate was being bloodied by smear tactics, then encouraged me to keep on writing about Tim’s candidacy, I got involved, got really charged up, and maybe gave some useful perspectives to the mayhem.

What really hurt was actually not seeing an honorable conservative candidate lose to the new NC Republican machine, but knowing how much it hurt Tim’s family. That is collateral damage that we don’t often think about.

In my last column on election day, I reported what Tim confided to me – that he often found his wife in tears, and that his fourteen-year-old-son was distressed to see his father characterized as a villain – while this young man new of his father’s decency, love for God, country and family, and determination to lead an honorable, and set a good example.

That’s the Tim D’Annunzio I have come to know, and I am certain that there are many out there in the Eighth District and across the Cap Fear Region who agree. Unfortunately, I am disappointed that all who agree did not translate their beliefs into action at the polls.

And that’s something else we need to do better on. That’s where the engine for change is located. That’s where battles are won and lost.

I want to put together a collection of supportive comments addressed to Tim D’Annunzio and his family. I think we owe him this. Please send your comments in response to this column. I’ll use all of them I can. I will not use, and will delete, any comments which are contrary to this request.

That’s it for now. God bless America, and God bless our friend and political mentor, Tim D’Annunzio. Let’s go to work.

SEE ALL VERNE STRICKLAND'S RECENT COLUMNS ON TIM D'ANNUNZIO, AND LEAVE COMMENTS FOR TIM AT http://www.examiner.com/x-42565-NC-7th-Elections-2010-Examiner. THANKS!

1 comment:

  1. There is so much here to comment on, I will let my comment on FB stand. Gads, wish I could write like you do, Verne.
    Mrs. AL

    ReplyDelete